Thursday, September 04, 2008

Remembering Redford








It was much easier to post cute puppy pictures than to tell you that my beloved cat Redford was dying from the dreaded FIP virus . Feline Infectious Peritonitis ( FIP ) is always terminal and there is no preventative vaccination . At first, I blamed myself for being too busy training the new puppy and not noticing that my cat was getting thinner then suddenly bloated . My vet said even if I had noticed any health concerns earlier , there was little we could have done . His age and immune system were factors against him . Believe me when I say I would have spent whatever it took to give him quality of life back . Instead of talking about the virus that took his life , I would rather celebrate the 15 years I had with a very special cat with a personality as big as the sky .
Redford was named after Robert the actor . He was tough , persistent , stubborn and often cranky . Orange and white , cute, with a lower jaw that jutted out like a bull dog . Not much for purring . He loved corn ... and was infamous for running away with the cob and growling to hold on to his treasure . He lived with two German shepherds over his lifetime and dominated both of them . He bit a few people when they bothered him but he was always forgiven because we loved him . When he came to our family as kitten , he looked just like little orange teddy bear with rings on his tiny tail . He loved to sleep under my hair until he got older then he changed sleeping places on a weekly basis . He was declawed and deballed and could not have cared less . He was often trapped in the basement ceiling . When my mother in law came to live with us he was her baby and always smelled of her perfume . In '97 when I lost my own mother , he became my father's buddy and daily shadow . He demanded his meals on time and if you were late , he let you know it in no uncertain meows . He used up a lot of his 9 lives . One of the worst was when he swallowed one of my hearing aid molds and needed a major operation to save his life . He loved to hide in the smallest of boxes and wrapping paper . He knew the English language . He was the only ass slappin' cat I ever knew .
I use to say Redford was reincarnated . So many Redford stories . He was devilish , funny , clever , sneaky , smart ,and never ever took no for an answer . Reminds me of a lot of people ..er ..cats .
We miss the Redford routine every day . He is probably eating cigarette butts and licking beer cans on that rainbow bridge somewhere with Dakota right about now .
God, we miss you buddy .

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry for your loss. What a beautiful kitty.

Anonymous said...

Sending good thoughts and vibes your way. I know what it's like to lose a beloved animal... and it's not easy!
Take care.
Jennifer

Anonymous said...

That was awesome, mom. Thank you.

Yes, I am weeping. (ironically Smudgie is licking at my salty tears)

Dwan

T said...

Love you mama...xo

Maria said...

I finally know who Redford is now and he is simply adorable. You are so good. I am sure he lived 15 happy, happy years with you.

RIP

N@ Lauzon said...

Red was a good boy. And an asshole. He walked that delicate line between adorable and curmudgeonly. Best ever. Miss you boy. xxox