Friday, November 02, 2007

About Tragedy , Love , and Forgiveness

When I write this blog , I prefer to keep it light and carefree but an incident so tragic and so sorrowful has triggered my thoughts back in time . I was in grade 6 and one of my best school friends at the time was a slight young girl named Karen . She had just moved to a place outside of Kapuskasing called Lowther air base . She was a quiet sort with the most beautiful long and wavy platinum hair down to her waist . She sat in front of me in class always turning back to smile that shy smile of hers . I never knew Karen for long . She was killed ,along with others , in a head on school bus collision that winter . I remember sitting at my desk , looking at her empty seat , sobbing and sobbing for my friend . The accident was no one's fault . Bad judgment on a icy wintry road.
From time to time , the memory of her innocent young face and flowing pale hair invades the corners of my mind . This week a similar tragedy happened in Timmins not far from my home . School was out and two young girls walking on the sidewalk were hit by a truck . One of them has died . Amelie was 10 years old . Do not ask why , there is no answer . Do not hold anger , it will eat you up inside . Once again , we are reminded of the fragility of life . Once again , we are reminded to always tell others we love them . Once again , we shed tears for a life so young taken before its time . I encourage you to click on the link I have included from our daily newspaper today . It says a lot about a family who in the most tragic of circumstances find it in their hearts to forgive . Behold the power of love .
My deepest sympathies to the Guertin family . Heaven has a another angel and Karen has another friend.

1 comment:

Maria said...

WOW I can not read stories like this it hurts!

The Lord has many angels.