Tuesday, November 20, 2007

The White Balloons

Yesterday , we traveled to my hometown for the funeral of my Uncle Danny . As we gathered to pay our final respects , I thought back to my childhood and how this man had affected my own life . My uncle was a talented carpenter and his home and cottage showcased his woodworking skills . Uncle Danny was a quiet man with a tough exterior . In his youth , he was a well known northern hockey player . He continued that dream with his grandson when he followed their teams from town to town . Over the years my uncle was plagued with poor health . He had a pacemaker and in later years he had diabetes . Through it all he was never a complainer or one to talk about his suffering . He just ... endured . He loved to dance , to joke and he loved music . One of his favorites was Frank Sinatra . It seemed fitting to all who knew him that at the end of the service , we listened to one of his songs , "My Way " . My uncle lived life his way despite all odds . Later at his son's home , I listened to my aunts and uncles , cousins and friends as they remembered a life well lived and well loved . I see my family circle , warm and loving and ever so slowly evolving into a much smaller circle . In my own daughters' characteristics , I recognize and understand the legacy my relatives leave not only to me but to the next generation .
As we stood in the snowy cemetery , for the final blessings , my uncle's daughter released a multitude of white balloons . It was a strange and yet beautiful moment . A symbolic gesture that we were witnesses to his soul ascending to the heavens . We stood in the wet snow and watched until every white balloon disappeared into the gray skies .
Oh Danny boy , the pipes are calling you home . God Bless you always .

8 comments:

Maria said...

So sad to loose loved ones after so many years of them being a part of our lives.

God Bless your Uncle and may he rest in peace. He is swaying to a Sinatra song right now.

Bob said...

Condolences and a big hug, Ma.

Daniel, Dan and Danny are names that are a very big part of my life.
My brother's name is Danny, named after our great grandfather. A kid we were raised with and was like a third brother or a cousin is also named Danny (His Mom and Dad were my folks' best friends. I kind of cut off communications with him a few years ago, when he tried to recruit me into one of those reverse pyramid money-making schemes).
Of course, you know that Little Bro's name is Daniel (French pronunciation) and he goes by Dan, or to me and my family, Dano.
A young Jamaican boy I mentored through Big Brothers in Ajax is also named Daniel.
On VHS, I have a PBS special from St. Patrick's Day several years ago, celebrating the song Danny Boy, performed by everyone from The Irish Descendants to Sinéad O'Connor. Absolutely beautiful and tear-inducing. Third brother/cousin Danny's Dad was Irish with a beautiful tenor voice. His acapella version of Danny Boy was also mesmerizing and hauntingly beautiful.

I love the symbolism of the balloon release at your Uncle Danny's graveside service. What a beautiful sendoff that obviously served as a source of comfort for you and your family.

Anonymous said...

My sympathies. Sounds like a special guy.

JB said...

The important thing is that you still have your family circle, even if it's a little smaller at this point in your family's history. As long as you remain connected, and love each other the way you obviously do, your family circle will endure, and that's more important than anything.

"And when ye come, and all the flowers are dying,
If I am dead, as dead I well may be,
Ye'll come and find the place where I am lying
And kneel and say an 'Ave' there for me.
And I shall hear, though soft you tread above me,
And o'er my grave shall warmer, sweeter be,
And if you bend and tell me that you love me,
Then I shall sleep in peace until you come to me. "

N@ Lauzon said...

That was really nice, mama.

music lady said...

MUSIC LADY SAID

YOUR POST WAS LOVELY DONNA

Sean Newbury said...

Huge hugs headed your way...

Anonymous said...

A wonderful post!!... and this is purely a guess, but I can tell from the words used that I know Music Lady, don't I?? Hope you are feeling better!!