Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Out Of Africa

Last night was my first venture out since I was sick for the second time . My daughter , my neighbor and I went to a women's dinner where the topic of the night was vacationing in Africa . My daughter wished to attend as she said that Africa is one of the 3 countries she has always dreamed of visiting ... she has already traveled to Greece and Australia . To be honest , I went for the night out and to enjoy a good meal . Some may call it a red hat club , but that is not who I am . In fact , my best friend and I ( remember the redhead in the nautical outfit ) , we prefer to think of ourselves as belonging to the red thong club . Getting back to Africa , I thought the presentation was a little on the boring side . There were no lions roaring or tribal music . In fact ... well , it was quite factual . The travel agent led us through a geographical tour of South Africa from Cape Town and Botswana , up to Zambia and Kenya . Dawn was excited when she heard about the gorilla tracking and going on safari to experience the greatest wildlife experience of her lifetime . I was excited that the cheesecake was homemade and the asparagus was perfection a la dente . Dawn marveled at the rhino coach tour , giraffes and zebras , lions and cheetahs . I marveled at the way a chicken dinner could be so embellished to look like a work of art . ... and the wine was tasty .
Before we knew it the evening had ended . Dawn left with all of her pamphlets and her dreams of Africa .
I left with a full stomach and my dreams of Robert Redford out of Africa .

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know you're getting old when the excitement of sightseeing in Africa is surpassed by perfectly cooked asparagus.

But you're not getting old, Ma. It must be the residual effects of being sick.

(Phew! I think I just saved my butt)

Ma Horton said...

No you did not .

JB said...

Were you drinking South African wines? You mentioned the wine was tasty.
There are some pretty good grapes down there, I hear.

Apparently, I'm new. What's a 'red hat club'?

Maria said...

Get your daughter to visit Animal Kingdom in Disney and she will ride on a "real" african safari with 1/10 the flying time.

Although, I don't know how much it compares to the "real" Africa because I have never been. It was good enough for us.

A friend of mine went to Africa on her honeymoon... who does that? Then again, it could come in handy, if you tire of your husband/wife you can feed them to the lions and have the perfect alibi.

Ma Horton said...

Maria has a good point . We have been to Disney twice and somehow I do not think it would compare to the real Africa . There are fantastic vineyards in South Africa but my wine was good old Niagara blend . And a Red Hat club is a group of old biddies who actually wear red hats & purple plumes who have little gossipy luncheons and do who knows what . Red thong is more alive and kickin' a** . I see Maria as a red thong type like me . You go girl .

Maria said...

Does that mean I would actually have to wear a "thong"? I tried that, once... and I find it very uncomfortable to be walking around all day with something riding up my butt!

Ma Horton said...

Nah ..the thong is simply a symbol that age is just number now kiss my butt attitude . Thongs may advertise barely there , but to me they are always there because you feel 'em all day long .

Anonymous said...

I love my red thong with feathers.
It makes me feel so tribal!!

JB said...

Sounds like it might ...tickle.