Thursday, June 28, 2007

Katina Largos

On yesterday's post I talked about the wonderful people you meet in life . I do not know Katina Largos . I met her one time only and most likely our paths will never cross again . For me , it was a defining moment . Here is how it happened . I was sitting in the Toronto airport waiting for my connection to Montreal reading a book . Three seats down from me sat an elderly lady . She got up and asked me kindly if I would watch her baggage while she made a washroom visit. I agreed but thought to myself that is something one should never ask a complete stranger but maybe she saw something in my face she trusted . When she returned , she sat next to me and happily bantered about her trip . Like me, she was traveling alone . She was from Winnipeg and was on her way to Greece via Montreal to see her daughter and grandchildren. She was a plumpish , short woman with a huge , motherly smile , heavy accent and a devilish twinkle in her eye . She began to relate a bit of her story... cancer survivor , widowed young and never re married , though there was a man in her senior complex who wanted to keep her warm at night. She laughed and said she was hot enough without him . We continued to chat waiting for our plane to board and I told her of Tim Hortons and where I lived . She wanted my phone number when I offered my email , she laughed and said that she knew nothing of computers but her family always gave her phone cards as gifts . Obviously a lady who loves to talk . As we got up to leave , I asked her what her secret was for being such a happy person despite the adversity she had faced during her life . She flashed me a big grin and said " Well my dear , you have to love yourself ." Those simple words went straight to my heart and as we lined up for boarding , something happened to my composure and I felt the tears on my cheek . Before we parted ways , this joyous and warm hearted Greek woman grabbed my hand , brought it to her cheek and kissed it . " I am going to call you she said ." Katina is in her homeland of Greece for three months . I am not sure if she will remember me but I do know this . I will remember her .

2 comments:

Sean Newbury said...

That's just totally sweet. Even I started to mist up.

What's with your family meeting the sweetest people at airport gates and benches? (I refer you to a post from N@ back in early April: http://natlauzon.blogspot.com/2007/04/tales-from-transit-12.html)

Love stories like these! LOVE em!

Maria said...

and that MY dear is what I mean about us GREEK women!! We have such good hearts and what Katina said about being "hot enough" is what my mom has always said.

Sometimes we meet the nicest people who leave an imprint in our hearts in the strangest and most unexpected places. Ahhhhhh Life!

Why do I always meet people on the road while stuck in traffic? Yesterday was no exception... while stuck in traffic some dude next to me motioned for me to roll down the window, so I did. He asks me for a certain street and when I tell him to continue for a few more lights he says "thanks and how about a cup of hot coffee to say thanks?"

Well, considering is was a sweltering 50 degrees yesterday I had to turn him down... (well, that and the small fact that I am married and MY son was seated in the back seat!)!! As he drove off I noticed the license plate "New Jersey" and thought maybe he really did need directions... but as he drove ahead of me... he put out his flasher way before you could even see the sign for the street he had just asked me for.