Sunday, June 29, 2008

Dream Big

I watched "Dreamgirls " on cable this morning . It was a rainy Sunday morning and I had never had the opportunity to see the movie at the theater . N@ and Scott had told me that they found it cheesy and walked out half way through the film . N@ has a difficult time comprehending musicals and cannot fathom actors that answer one another in song . I must make a mental note of that if I break into " The Sound Of Music " when she is home . Back to "Dreamgirls " , I can totally see why Jennifer Hudson stole this entire movie right from under Beyonce's booty . Jennifer , if you recall , was a American Idol wannabe when she given the heave ho right into movie stardom with her debut film . She was so amazing and truly deserving of her Academy award . Her powerful vocals made the movie worth watching . To me it was like ... Beyonce who ? In all fairness , the one song I did enjoy Beyonce singing was "Listen " . Eddie Murphy was just sleazy ( but then we all know that part wasn't hard to play for him ). The screenplay was based on the rise of the Supremes in an era when blacks were not supposed to be center stage , let alone headline entertainers .
Jennifer Hudson's booming voice will once again enthrall as her debut album is due out this fall .
Right now you can download her new single "Spotlight " from iTunes. I just did .
Jennifer is a big girl with a big voice and makes no excuses for either . Dream big . You go girl .

4 comments:

N@ Lauzon said...

Scott still has the privilege and the honour of having not yet seen Showgirls. It was me and Dave Acer that walked out. Doesn't matter - still a shite movie all 'round.

BARFFFF.

Movie: plotless, bad writing, bad acting. Stinker.

Ma Horton said...

I am not denying the plot was lame . My point was that Jennifer Hudson stole the show against all odds . Sorry I cannot keep all your "men " straight .

Bob said...

At least her men are straight -- Not that there's anything wrong with unstraight, as in Kitty and Didz.

Hey, Ma, have a double-double Happy Canada Day, eh.

Ma Horton said...

Will do Bobbycakes ...vous aussi.