Tuesday, December 30, 2008

The Second Breakdown

The second breakdown was a direct result of the first. Again , it involved my older daughter. A few days before , Dawn had mentioned Christmas stockings. I said I just can't do stockings without Natalie here this year. I should have mentioned that fact earlier as she walked in Christmas morning with a bag of goodies. Just before we sat down, my eldest made her signature Christmas morning coffee laced with orange liquor and orange garnish. Being that I had just laced myself with orange juice a mere hour before that made the coffee drink all that more poignant.
As I began to open the stocking bag, I heard my own voice crack up "I never got you a stocking. I am such a bad mother ..". It did not matter to my daughter one way or the other but I felt it was an issue worth crying over and I did. I blubbered throughout most of the stocking stuff. My saving grace was the waterproof mascara. To make matters worse inside the stocking was an orange chocolate, orange bubble bath, orange lip gloss, etc etc . That set me off again. I was in my own personal citrus hell.
As the gifts unwrapped and the dinner came to a close , I finally felt more relaxed. The wine helped me reach that mellow yellow stage.
Screw Oprah. Screw Martha Stewart. It was over.
Until ...
Just before my daughter's boyfriend left the house he said these parting words ,
"Orange you glad we're leaving .."

6 comments:

Sean Newbury said...

MAN!
That Dawn is a beal Be-atch!

Sean Newbury said...

real... not beal...

Maria said...

I understand what you are feeling. You don't feel like celebrating without the clan all complete and home with you.
I get it!

Ma Horton said...

I think subconsciously that might have been it Maria .

Bob said...

That story sure has a lot of a-peel. Next time you have one like that, just citrus down at the computer and give us all the juicy details.

Hugs from "such an ass" Bobbycakes.

Ma Horton said...

Orange you glad I can't kick you in the citrus right about now ..