Friday, February 15, 2008

Days of the Iguana

The big guy .
"Rock me Amadeus "
The little guy .
"Cry me a river ... "
These* crocs * you definitely do not want on your feet .

Forget Richard Burton and " night of the iguana ", these reptile guys are sun worshipers and are everywhere basking on the hot cement walkways . No wonder they have such dry , wrinkled up old skin . Some of the barbecued tourists should have made note of that fact . Although the iguana may look like a fierce looking , miniature , prehistoric monster , they are , in fact , herbivorous and quite harmless . One gets use to having them around in climates like this . If they feel threatened by you they puff themselves up and bop their heads like they belong on your car dashboard . The resort also had their bigger cousins , the crocodile , secluded in a fenced in sanctuary . The crocs do not have to puff up to scare you ... one look at the jaws and teeth will do it for you , no problem .
On the beach , you could often find the staff carrying one of the biggest iguanas for a peso, picture taking session . One evening going out for our dinner , I had mentioned to Dawn that I wondered where all the iguanas went at night . I surmised that they must bed into holes in the ground and I pointed to one who had stuck his head up to watch us pass by . My daughter nonchalantly stated that was an underground sprinkler coming on and not an iguana .
My eye check up will be forthcoming .

2 comments:

Maria said...

Actually the staff who come by to take pictures of the guests and the iguana's costs ALOT more than a freakin' peso. Trust me I know. Pumpkin, has got me to buy every picture she has taken with all these different critters.

JB said...

So, you were going out for dinner when you saw the sprinkler which looked like an iguana to you?
...Are you sure you weren't just coming back from drinks?
;-)