Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Her Legacy to me

Those of you who have been following N@ 's site for a while now might recognize this picture of Dakota who left me a year ago last August for a better place free from the pain of bladder and bowel cancer that took her life. She was 11 and half and a great companion to me and I am not ashamed to say it has taken me many months to get over her loss . I have haunted shelters , pet stores , multi media ads looking for some connection to fill the empty place she left in my heart . She was a very special dog to each of us . Today I am pleased to tell you that by the end of this week , another paw print will again stamp my heart and fill the hollowness left by my former canine friend. In fact as the phrase *double double * suggests it will be a twofold puppy world as both Dawn and I are expecting our 8 week old love bundles of energy . I know my cat Redford who himself fell into a bit of feline depression ,will make sure the new arrival knows just who is the lion in the house . Sometimes in life you just have to follow your own heart , your own instincts , and your own dreams in order to get back to who you are .
.oh , and the legacy Dakota left for me ? ..simply said .....unconditional loving .

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ma, I'm glad you found a new furry friend, I've been wondering when you would. For a dog I never wanted, I miss Nya, but I know that she has gone to a good and loving home. Sometimes, I think pets are better than people, for a lot of reasons. That being said, I have been thinking about you and will call you to come check out the new digs. xoxo

Ma Horton said...

Sweetheart ..animals are always more human than we are by a long shot.

Anonymous said...

Mama, you are wise beyond your beautiful years. I miss you...:)

N@ Lauzon said...

I miss her too. :( She was a fantastic, gentle person in dog's clothing. Over a year ago, I started writing a column about her and I STILL can't finish it.

I am looking forward to the next chapter now, too.

(Can you please teach the new one how to make poop sandwiches?)

Ma Horton said...

Babycakes .. I am saving all the poop sandwiches for my mountain men.

Anonymous said...

... and here I was about to write something nice 'n mooshy - 'cuz dogs ROCK!

But after your mountain men comment I'm not gunna post nuthin'.

Milky

Ma Horton said...

It'a only becuz I love you Milky ..dont get all anal on me .

John Mielke Photography said...

You llllllllllooooooovvvvvvvveeeeee me!

You think I'm gorgeous... you want to kiss me... you want to date me.

Milky
PS - new pics for ya!