Saturday, March 17, 2007

"When Irish Eyes are Smiling


...Sure 'tis like a morn in Spring . " It seems on St .Patricks Day we all have a bit of the Irish in us . Somewhere in my family tree sits some red nosed Irishman joking with his pub pals , throwing back a pint of Guinness and singing Danny Boy 'from glen to glen and down the mountainside' ...and that's no blarney . This must be why green is my favourite colour and why nothing can make me feel better inside than a shamrocking good laugh . One of the most beautiful pair of smiling eyes I have ever seen shine from my adopted grandaughter Jaden .
" In the lilt of Irish laughter
You can hear the angels sing
When Irish hearts are happy
All the world seems bright and gay
And when Irish eyes are smiling
Sure they steal your heart away."

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awww, that's sweet. Too bad the pic isn't colour, so we could see the whole effect of Jaden's beautiful eyes. Isn't "Jaden" derived from green jade?

And just the mention of Danny Boy makes me mist up for several reasons. My Uncle Grenville McDowell (actually just good family friend) is no doubt singing it in Heaven today, in his beautiful Irish tenor voice. He even named his son Danny -- not Daniel, Danny.

And of course, there's Little Bro Dan, my pride and joy. I call him Dano. His very French-Canadian, non-Irish grandmamam calls him "Mon Danny Boy".

Several years ago on St. Paddy's Day, PBS ran a special with several versions of Danny Boy, from the traditional to Sinead O'Connor. I have it on videotape.

Ma, may the road rise up to meet you; may the wind always be at your back; may the sun shine warm upon your face; and may ye be in Heaven for half an hour before the Devil knows you're dead.

Ma Horton said...

Well I am gonna hope the devil went down to Georgia before I hit them pearly gates . And Bobby ,when I am with you ..there is always wind at my back.

Anonymous said...

That ain't wind. It's the three-bean salad I had for lunch.

Ma Horton said...

My point excatly .

Anonymous said...

Guess you won't have to worry about those northern ontario skitters then with all that wind

Ma Horton said...

You mean skaters ?