Monday, March 12, 2007

The Best Laid Plans of Mice and Ma


Thank you all for your missin' Ma messages . What you don't know is that you could have been missing me permanently if not for the angel on the wing of my plane . Let me first say that I am not one to enjoy flying but I do it because it is the only mode of transport to get you somewhere quickly and I have travelled to many wonderful places I would never have seen without airplanes . This year due to the fact I do not have a valid passport as of yet , travel to any hot resort was out of the question , so I made a spur of moment decision to head west . I left March 1st on a bright and sunny , clear day for Toronto to make my connection . If you have read the news you will know that Pearson was shut down due to a bad weather from the western provinces on that day . There I was on a full passenger Jazz with turbulence to make you sick and nothing to look at but white nothingness . I thought for sure it was my death day . .. and I don't think I was the only passenger with those thoughts . After circling what seemed forever the pilot announced we were running out of fuel and that he had to divert us to either Chicago or Kingston .
Twenty anxious minutes later I found myself stranded in the city of Kingston . First time this has ever happened to me on any vacation . Air Canada's offer was to refuel and send you back to Timmins with no flights out until the Monday . One lady chose that because she was feeling sick ( although I do recall she was eating a big pizza ) . So I had to make a choice , to rent a van with six British men and head back into the storm and for the airport or rent a room in Kingston and make alternative plans . I chose the latter along with 2 other women who were headed for Toronto and they chose a hotel for us because they knew the area . The Radisson was a nice place near the water and any other time I might have enjoyed the view . We ate together at the Keg ( grilled salmon and wine ) and shared our stories of life and family . Strangers became friends and we laughed about our situation and hoped the day would bring a travel solution and the weather behave for a while . They had a lap top and helped me to find another way out while they took Via Rail . I never saw them in the morning but left my business card for Chris and Jackie and hoped they made it back home safely . As for me .... I flew into the eye of the storm and made it through to write this post .

16 comments:

JB said...

I'm glad you're back safe, weary traveller. We've missed you!

Anonymous said...

Well you know what I believe - no such thing as co-incidence!!! Chris and Jackie were meant to meet you and you them ...for whatever reason ... and as for the lady eating the big pizza - well there ya go - grilled salmon would have been the best way to go !!!
Glad you got home safe !
Lil sis ..

Anonymous said...

Make that at least three of us who are glad you're back safely.

Girl, what's up with the no-passport thing? Now I CAN'T invite you to be my date at the big wedding in the Dominican.

Sheesh.

By the way, check out the post on my blog about the neato way to rrrrrolll up the rim.

Anonymous said...

Mama, glad you're home safe and sound. NGB, I have a valid passport...hint, hint...:)

Ma Horton said...

You care ..you really care ..except for Bobbybrat who won't take me as a carry on to the Dominican .

Anonymous said...

Yeah, right, and end up in a Dominican prison for harbouring an illegal alien. I don't want to be Big Juan's boytoy bee-atch. And you know I would be, cuz I'm so damned cute and all.

Ma Horton said...

Yer butts cuter than a tater tot .. remember those ?

Anonymous said...

Um, no...

Maria said...

WOW... I hate turbulence and you would figure all the flying we do I would have gotten used to it by now... but NOPE!

Glad you are back safe and sound.

As for the turbulence, they say that it is rarely dangerous. Thats what they say... whether I believe them or now is an entirely different story.

JB said...

Ma, I would have thought "cuter than a Timbit" would be the more likely expression at the tip of your tongue. (NGB, notice how I didn't say anything dirty about the tip of her tongue)

Anonymous said...

I did notice, JB.

You're losing your touch. You haven't commented yet on the fact that the title of this post has the word "laid" in it.

Ma Horton said...

Robert Burns is gonna kick your tater tots for that one .

N@ Lauzon said...

Welcome back mumsy!

Anonymous said...

Yay! Ma's back?!!?

What'd ya bring me???! Do I get a souvenier?!?!

:)

I'm not a big fan of flying either... glad you're OK!

JM

JB said...

...an' we're donna dit some wabbits, wight, Dorge? Dorge?

Lennie

;-)

Ma Horton said...

John Steinbeck's movie ' Of Mice ands Men " was based on the poem by Robbie Burns . ..just in case you're all wondering if JB and I have lost our marbles. Now I haffa go an live offa the fatta the lan..