Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Back In The Saddle Again

Before you go rolling in the hay with uncontrollable laughter at the sight of me straddled on top of a horse , let me tell you how it all began . My eldest went canoeing a few weeks back and made a new friend . Both of us were invited over to her home last Friday night for dinner, wine, and conversation . Izzy ( new friend ) is living my dream .... waterfront log home , 5 cats , 1 dog , and 2 horses. Her doors are open wide for both friends and felines alike. The horses are close enough to come up to the porch neighing for a treat of carrots or bread . The mother horse is Tuesday and her colt is Tigga . Tuesday was saddled up and my daughter trotted around the field like a seasoned equestrian . I , on the other hand , grabbed the saddle horn for dear life , surprised how wide a horse's back was than I had remembered , and secretly happy that I had taken yoga over 3 years for flexibility . I had not been on a horse since the age of 18 when my ride ended with my horse bucking and me falling off onto my tush . Tuesday is one of those smart horses that knows voice commands , so I was properly warned not to use the G -word ( Gallop or Giddyup ) . So I quietly muttered "Walk please , for the love of Trigger and Black Beauty , please just walk ."
We did walk until Tigga came galloping after Mommy Mare and we had a bit of a rump a dump time but I managed to stay aboard with thanks to Izzy . Tumbling tumbleweed but we had an awesome time . I even updated my vocabulary to understand what the word "gelding" meant .
Thank you Izzy for a very different and fun time . Dawn has even decided that she may venture into horseback riding lessons again . As for me ..." the old gray mare ain't what she use to be .. "





Having a horse laugh at the new gringos .
The view.
The dream.
Inside the dream.
Chow time.
On the front porch looking in .
Tuesday and Izzy
Do you have a pooper scooper ?
Dawn's herd.
Help
Horse saliva hair conditioner .
Hazards of the trail.

The end .

4 comments:

Sean Newbury said...

Great pics! I haven't been on a horse in about 6 years. It's something you miss BIG TIME when you see and hear a story like yours. It sure looks Izzy has a bit of heaven there for sure!

JB said...

Congratulations on literally getting back on the horse. Good for you! It looks like it was a lot of fun!
...(and I'll bet you secretly want to do it again, even though you say you don't.)

Ma Horton said...

Just between you and I ,JB , I do .

Anonymous said...

Okay, I recognize you and Dwan, but who's the horse's ass in the final pic?