Tuesday, July 31, 2007

This Was The Pits

Monday night was an interesting dog walking night . Karma and I headed out in the coolness of the early evening to a near by little league park we had never been to before . Karma was excited and loves to meet new people and their dogs and so we did . Our first interaction was a very nice fellow in a wheelchair with a little blonde Pomerian pup . He was a little leery at first because of Karma's breed but when I explained that she was sociable and lovable like me , we had a nice chat about the park and our dogs . He said his pup was 5 months old and he was happy to have his companionship and that Max got him out everyday . Pets are such good therapy . After that came along another blonde male ..husky /retriever mix called Hunter S. Thompson..( named after the famous author and American journalist ) . Karma and Hunter took off bounding after each other like only happy dogs can do . The sounds of laughing children leaving baseball practice filled the air . We continued walking until we reached the end of the park and a trail began into the trees along the river . Now alone , I would never have ventured in towards dusk but with a group of us it seemed safe enough . Besides , I had my trusty bear horn around my neck which gave me a sense of false security . The dogs lead the way sniffing the ground while we talked and battled mosquitos . Mid way I saw Karma stop in her tracks startled by the sight of not a bear , but a big bear of a man coming out between the bushes with a large stick . Beside him was a barrel chested brown and white grinning beast of an animal . Not expecting the "gentleman " , I asked him if his dog was friendly and he said he was , so Karma hesitated but went up for a friendly meet and greet . Now at this point in time , I did not recognize the fact that this muscular beast was indeed a huge , unmuzzled and very frightening looking pit bull . The sequence of events next happened within seconds . The two -faced beast one minute smelling a leery Karma and the next , scraping my arm in a frenzy , lunging and drooling slime to attack Hunter behind me whose owner fell to the ground to protect his dog . The pit owner wrestled his dog and held him down all the while telling us he was not aggressive at all . Hunter and his owner thankfully were not injured and we made the smart decision to turn around and head back to the open area in the park . I thought about how many pit bull attacks had been published in the news . The owner hidden within the confines of the wooded area , why did he have the long stick , and how some people cruelly profit from dog fighting . I thought about the laughing children I had seen earlier and the kind man in the wheelchair with his tiny dog . Last night , I dreamt of the wide faced , grinning beast who so resembled his irresponsible owner in size and intelligence . It is provincial law that all pit bulls be neutered ( he wasn't ) , leashed (not ) and muzzled ( nope ) . I use to wonder about that law . I don't anymore .

6 comments:

N@ Lauzon said...

ARGH! People suck.

The other day, in our 'hood my friend saw a big white pitbull LITERALLY tear the ear off a big ol' dog walking with his owner. The pit's owner was smashing it on the head (the owner is a very BUFF black dood)
trying to make it let go -which it obviously did not, and a crowd gathered. My friend circled round the block in his car and when he came back - the pitbull had blood all over it's mouth and the other dog's ear was hanging off.

CUT TO...

A few days ago, I'm walking Flea down our street and who do I see come out of an apartment building?
Big black dood, big white pit.
And it's wearing a muzzle.
The guy crossed the street, but the dog saw Flea and went a little mental.

She'd be a snack.

People suck.

Maria said...

she'd be less than a snack.
Something the french call an hors d'oeuvre.

I agree people suck when they breed or even buy beasts like pit bulls to have as house pets. What the heck are they thinking? I would never keep a dog like that around my children or anyone else's for that matter.

I don't think a measly stick is gonna control that dog... call me crazy! Tell him to get a 2x4.

JB said...

Sorry you had a bad experience like that, Ma, and I hope Karma is none the worse for wear - mentally - after the incident.

Pit bulls - and yes, I'm sure they weren't this bad before the "people who suck" got their claws into them - need to be outlawed completely. Forget the muzzles. Stop the BREED, or mix it with the most passive creature on Earth until its tendencies are completely reversed.
Probably no one will agree with me on this, but somebody please tell me the use of keeping a breed around that has been forced to be violent, and is now inherently so.

Ma Horton said...

I think to some "people that suck " owning a unbalanced pit bull is a sign of their pseudo masculinity . For others , they see only the pitiful puppy and not the dog that will become an adult within a few short months capable of endangering life both human and animal . Then there is the gambling profits off illegal dog fighting that is mixed in with the underground drug trade. I saw up close and personal the JAWS of hell last night .

Anonymous said...

From JB's comment: "mix it with the most passive creature on Earth..." You called??

Seriously, though, something drastic has to be done to control not pitbulls, misbehaving Rotties, etc., but their sub-human owners.

Dude with the big stick in the South Porcupine doggie park, black dude with the white pitbull, and anyone of their ilk is overcompensating for a short weenie or some other affliction. What the hell are they thinking? They should be locked up when their animals attack. It might be too little too late, but would be a deterrent for other brain-dead idiots.

Ma Horton said...

God but we have missed you .