Monday, July 30, 2007

Survivor


.....or how to live like a stinky pig for 2 days without running water and make the most of it . Okay , so I fully realize to most of you that 48 hours without running water is no big deal but to my father it is a crisis of major proportion . We went to his cottage near Moonbeam ( google the place for all you city slickers ) two weeks ago to pick up the remaining boxes left from the sale of his house last year . My Dad was shocked to discover that he had no running (or walking ) water due to a blocked water line coming from the lake . You have to know my Dad to understand his dismay . He is a 3 times a day hot shower guy not to mention the bathroom breaks , etc . We had a mini conference and decided we could still do this with the bucket that Liza left us ..there is no Liza but we sang the song as we each took our turn bringing up the water from the lake . Besides that we only had food for one day and stayed for two . Like true settlers we only ate fruit and vegetables ....so it was bought at A&P before I left but the end result was the same ...increased fibre which meant increased bathroom breaks which meant increased bucket carrying . We even managed to wash our dusty steeds ( the trucks ) . Yep , one learns to survive without the amenities of life and we were proud of that fact as we microwaved the popcorn for our movie . By the 49th hour we had to get back to civilization because Dad was going a little crazy for something hot and  this time it wasn't Martha .
.."there's a hole in the bucket ,dear Liza , dear Liza...."

11 comments:

JB said...

That song used to drive me nuts when I was a kid because my father sang it way too often. The whole, "With what shall I fix it/cut it/sharpen it/wet it, and back to THERE's A HOLE in the bucket!" AARRRGGHH!

...and thanks for not getting too graphic with the bathroom/extra fibre crisis.

;-)

Ma Horton said...

JB old poop , you know I am just parental guidance type of gal .

JB said...

...but where does your daughter get it from, then?

;-)

Maria said...

I can understand YOUR dad and his love for running water. No showers in a tent is the one reason I have yet to take my kids camping. I ain't walking a mile to a shared shower area! So instead I take them to 5 star hotels in Mexico they don't complain.

Glad you guys ate for 2 days with one day worth of food!

Ma Horton said...

She was immaculate conception .

Ma Horton said...

5 star is the only way to camp ..have you ever been to the Aventura Spa Palace ..I was there twice and would go again if not for all the news lately about the corrupted police in Mexico . That hotel was right next to the Barcelona and we were there the week the Canadian couple were murdered . My travel agent told me that not many Canadians are booking Mexico because of that anymore .

JB said...

So you're saying "The bathrooms there are to die for..."?

Ma Horton said...

Baaaaaaad boy

Maria said...

I have been to the Aventura Spa Palace and it was really nice. We have also been to:

1) Royal Solaris - Cancun (twice)
2) GR Solaris - Cancun
3) Barcelo Maya (where the couple from Woodbrdge were murdered)... we heard that was a hit - who knows...
4) Gran Bahia Principe (our favorite so far)
5) Aventura Spa Palace
6) RIU Tequila (we went this past May).

All of these places in the last 3 years.

As for not many Canadians going --- we met lots everytime. This last time in May I had a 24 Hrs virus or something of that sort and the gentleman who cleaned our room came to check on me almost every hour on the hour and bring me water and 7UP.

I think if you treat people nicely they will do the same.
Also, the Mexicans really like Canadians - its our neighbours they are not too crazy about!

Sean Newbury said...

Oh My GOD!

I So Luuuuuuuuuuuuurved that song! Especially the version on Seasame Street... tell me I'm not only one that remembers that one?

I might just have to teach it to all the Frenchies in my house!

Anonymous said...

Yep, that's roughin' it indeed, microwaving popcorn to eat while you watched a DVD (insert your own pun that plays off "roughin' it" and "roughage").

Hey, Little Bro Dan's grandma used to live in Moonbeam, and has a little trailer on a lakeside lot just outside of there, too. Do you gots a pic of the flying saucer to share with the Bloglodytes?