Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Dogs With Jobs









Karma joined the ranks of dogs with jobs today . Donning a pink Roots vest , Karma made her first visit to Spruce Hill Lodge In South Porcupine this morning . She paid a special visit to Belle who is a senior dog lover and when they met I think Karma and Belle were both smiling . We looked at the photos of her little yorkie mix dog Earl who is being taken care of by a family member . Her pet would actually be allowed with her in this facility if not for the beginnings of her alzheimer's disease . Spruce Hill Lodge is a transitional living center , formerly Porcupine General Hospital , where the seniors are allowed to bring one of their small pets as long as they are still able to care for them themselves . This is one of the few places that I know of that carries that perspective and one to be so very proud of . After all , pets are often the last loving companions that a lot of seniors have and giving up their independence is one thing but giving up the love and friendship of a dear pet is quite another. We met a gentleman in a wheelchair by the name of Jack with a great sense of humor and a lady who at one time had two german shepherds of her own .They kindly asked us for a return visit and that is a given . I was very proud of my dog today . Karma was Karma . Loving the attention . Loving the people.

http://www.truenorthweb.com/sprucehill/history.htm

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy that all went well. Thanks for including the pictures. They are great. Might I use one for the next edition of The View?
Duabe

Ma Horton said...

If I knew who this was I might say yes .

JB said...

I think I'm in love with your dog, Ma.

(If Belle is a senior dog lover, can I be a junior dog lover?)

;-)

Ma Horton said...

You can and you are .

Bob said...

Can you explain Belle and Karma both smiling by saying it was, well, karma?

Spruce Hill is a great place. My sister-in-law's mom lived there for the final 6+ years of her life, until she died this past January at the age of 91. She was such a sweetheart, and although nursing for 40 years (mostly right in that very building) robbed her of good knees in her golden years, her mind was as sharp as a tack right to the end.

Good on you and Karma. I'm in the process of screening to volunteer at the Royal Ottawa Mental Health Centre, and looking forward to it.

Sean Newbury said...

bow wow WOW!

This is wonderful!
Kudos to Karma and Ma.

N@ Lauzon said...

Karma looks so cute! I love her jacket. I'm glad we can dress up the big ones too. GO DOGGIE GO!!!

Anonymous said...

Donna!
That is fantastic that Karma is visiting the elderly and can put a little sunshine in their day. Keep up the good work.

Rosie