Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Lipstick

I had it from a good source ( my sister ) that red lipstick was the colour to have for the fall season . I had thought about it for a while and yesterday I went out and bought myself Revlon's Red Velvet . To be honest I am more of a nude or pinky flesh toned type of person so this dramatic shade was a step out of the norm for me . I have had my fashion shades from the past . Any of us women who lived through the sixties must recall the ghoulish white frost we wore with our mini skirts . I called it the dead look. As the seventies rolled around I thought that Toast of New York was me . Looking at old photographs I can see my mouth looked like I had just ate a dozen Hershey bars or got hit in the mouth with a mud pie . That is when I turned to the flesh . My collection of bare has ranged from Skinlight to Milkshake to Mocha Latte and Pink at the Beach . I have had coffee lips , mango lips , strawberry lips and so many flavors , I feel like the Jolly Rancher of lipsticks . You knew I was a shampooaholic and yes I am also a lipstickaholic . My sister is just as bad although she eventually throws out and I tend to collect.
Last night I went to a women's dinner sporting my new red sweater and my new red velvet lips to match . I asked my neighbor in the car if it looked alright and she hesitated and said "It is not what you usually wear but it looks okay ."Hmmmmm... okay... so I thought to myself should I head to the bathroom and wipe my mouth off before the dinner . I was afraid I would come out looking more like Sissy Spacek in the movie Carrie so decided to stay put and try to look inconspicuous as possible with my harlot mouth screaming look at me . Red stains were on my white wine glass . One thing I have never mastered is the art of applying lipstick on my lips without a mirror . I did not dare even try this for fear I would look like Bette Davis's character in Betty Jane . Worse yet , what if all the nice ladies called the paramedics because they thought I was having a severe nose bleed when all it was me blindly hitting my nostrils with the tube . Next thing I know the very nice lady sitting next to me quietly said "You look so nice in red .. you are lucky this is just a women's meeting ." My face matched my lips but I felt so much better . Sis was right . Red lips made her feel sexy ...and what's wrong with that . Revlon's Red Velvet joins the collection . Cover Girls Trushine No. 490 is next .

8 comments:

Maria said...

aaaahhhhhhh the dreaded red lipstick. I remember it quite well as its my mom's favorite colour. She also used to use Fire Engine red and at 72 she sometimes still does. I sometimes have to tell her in a very nice tone, "mom put it down and step away from the lipstick" My favorite is the CG Smoothers Iced Latte.

Anonymous said...

So should we stop calling you Ma, and call you Mimi instead?

Sean Newbury said...

Did you check it for lead?

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20071012/lipstick_lead_071012/

Ma Horton said...

I do not have the poison kiss of death . I just checked . Who is Mimi?

Anonymous said...

I saw you today Ma and all i've got to say is "Holy Harlet"

N@ Lauzon said...

I prefer Blistex.

But for the record - check your cosmetics for nasty-ass chemicals, etc. Now, I always look for paraben-free and polyethelene-free.

They use polyethelene to make car tires. I don't want it in the form of a lotion, makeup or sandwich.

Having said that, I still sometimes buy stuff that I LIKE instead of stuff I feel is body-friendly. But now, I am at least more aware.

BTW, why don't you show us a pic, Ma?! ;)

Anonymous said...

Very funny sexy girl - red lips are HOT !! Rule of thumb - buy a new lippy stick and throw out one lippy stick ...I know it's hard - but you can do it girl !!!

Cherylitta

Ma Horton said...

You giving me some lip sis ?