Sunday, December 10, 2006

Remembering Sierra


I have been meaning to write this post for a while now and today is as good as any . As most of you do or do not know , I had been looking for another dog for quite some time after the loss of my Dakota . I had seen terriers , dachshunds and bassets , puppies and older dogs .... and in particular one female rescue dog called Sierra . She was found in the small community of Moonbeam wandering by herself for days, hungry and lost. She was taken in by the Kapuskasing Rescue and fostered by a kind woman until I happened upon her adoption under a local site. I went to see her in early August and brought her back home with me . Sierra was a female shepherd about 8 months old and I knew that somebody had taken the time to train her the basic dog commands as she did the things I asked of her , was attentive , and tried to please me from the first day. The first night she laid beside my bed and I knew I had that elusive connection . Unfortunately , Sierra , through no fault of her own and perhaps due to lack of socialization wanted to have my old cat Redford for dinner every night and try as I might it did not work out . On a rainy day in August I returned Sierra to the animal organization . I remember been glad it was raining because it hid my tears for this lost and beautiful animal that had entered and exited my life so quickly . As time went on and as all of you know it was Karma the german shepherd puppy who finally entered my heart and my life .
I never forgot Sierra and was saddened to learn 3 months later she had been killed by a transport on the highway near Hearst . She had been placed as therapy dog where so many people had given her the attention and love she deserved but had failed to protect her from the hazards of the highway. I cried a second time for Sierra wishing I could have given her a better chance . I suppose upon reflection , like so many circumstances in life , it was all about karma .

2 comments:

N@ Lauzon said...

Awesome post, mom. Good on ya.
You did the right thing for you AND for Sierra in letting her go.

Again, just don't get me started on the dogs sans leash thing. ERGHHHHH...very, very sad.

JB said...

Don't feel bad for Sierra, and don't second-guess your decision to let her go. You know you did the right thing. It was someone else who did the wrong thing. Don't beat yourself up about it.
You've got a real big, sweet heart.
God bless Sierra, in whatever heavenly field she may now be playing.