Thursday, February 15, 2007

Anchors Away

I don't care . I don't care that the nautical theme is back again for spring in women's fashion. Why do designers think that all women want to look like sailors the moment the ice breaks . It's not that I do not appreciate navy and white . I do . I learned a long time ago that horizontal stripes belong in Alcatraz and anchors should be dumped in the ocean and not on our bodies .Which brings to mind a friend of mine ( and she knows who she is ) who has a cute little seersucker capri outfit with cute little anchors and cute little stripes . Her loving sister gives her all her old designer clothing . Some of it is hot and some it should have sank with the Titanic .When I saw her in the sailor gear I wanted to yell *woman overboard * , batten down the hatches and throw her a buoy . Instead I navigated her into a safe port - the What Not To Wear show . We watch it religiously hoping against hope that we never see dynasty shoulders again or dolman sleeves . No sooner had I got her out of high waisted , straight leg jeans when the denim-demi gods brought them back again . Being in style is hard work ..I am out when in is in and in when in is out . I am currently working on my sailor girl's leopard in heat jungle look . She has this 4 way top ..but that's a entirely new post.

12 comments:

Maria said...

I remember having worn those little sailor outfits about 25 years ago when I was just a weeeeeee little tot in primary school.

Not so sure I would even dare to wear one today. But hey whatever floats one's boat!

Ma Horton said...

Dear Maria ..her boat is sinking fast .

Anonymous said...

ok, so my wardrobe needs some attention, that's what friends are for!!To hell with polka dots,strips & anchors.I wanna be a fuu fuu mamma from now on. Thank God the days of us dressing like twin mommies are gone! A toast to the diva's with fuu fuu & attiude. That's us!

JB said...

I would think if you want to attract guys like Michael Jackson, a little sailor outfit is the way to go.
...although for you, attracting Michael Jackson might require a little sailor outfit and a sex change.

Ma Horton said...

Actually there is a hot rumour that * the gloved one * and Firelady exchange sparkle glam outfits now and again .

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm, a 4 way top...does that mean you can take it off 4 ways?? I did actaully buy a nautical sweater @ Sears last week, it is brown and white striped and looks quite lovely on me. Now had you told me 5 years ago I would voluntarily wear brown, I'da told you you were of your rocker....

Ma Horton said...

Since when is nautical brown you land lubber ?

Anonymous said...

Since I thought it might go with the poop deck...

Ma Horton said...

Oh you're good ..

KimmaJimma said...

Hey Ma, what is Nat's middle name? I want to use it when I have to yell at her...

Ma Horton said...

That would be Natalie Ann Margaret .. and no I did not name her after the Hollywood sex kitten.

JB said...

No, because to name her after the Hollywood sex kitten, you would have had to have named her Natalie Heidi Fleiss, and that would just be weird.