Thursday, February 22, 2007

My Gift

I am so lucky . For those of you who may or may not know I am a hearing impaired person and have had a hearing aid since the age of 28 . It is a heredity thing in my paternal family tree , my father , my grandmother.. and I have passed that lucky gene onto my youngest daughter . I have never really considered it a true handicap because putting things in perspective there are far worse things in this life . You learn to adapt to your quiet world and actually come to enjoy the peacefulness of less sound . I have learned to see the humour in many situations when I have heard the wrong word . Believe me when I say that missing that one consonant in a word can get you in a ton of trouble sometimes . Over the years my television has its closed caption on everyday and music is all new to me with my headset and CD player . My audiologist finally convinced me that with the advent of digital sound I should upgrade my old hearing aid . Today I did that . I am hearing the beeps on my microwave . I heard someone knocking on my father's apartment door through my telephone . I hear the cat meow from another room . I hear the hum of the refrigerator and the whoosh of air through the heating vents . Unlike all of you when I am tired of all these things I have the option of removing this amazing piece of technology and get a good night's sleep . Yep , I am the lucky one .

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ma, you obviously have adapted to your hearing impairment.
Hearing is one of those things that we take for granted all too often.
I must say that I envy your ability to tune in or out. Sometimes I wish the world would just shut up -- and that doesn't include the voices in my head.
When I was a kid, I had a friend whose dad had very little hearing. One day when the power was off, Mr. Hannah abruptly got out of his chair, hit the light switch and voila! -- the light came on. He had heard the fridge start up, and we hadn't.

Anonymous said...

Ma, I just wanted you to know that I often don't even remember you are hard of hearing. I too sometimes wish I could drown out the sounds of the day. Of course,when I hear Evan say "I love you mommy", it makes me remember that life is precious,no matter what else is happening.

Ma Horton said...

I have learned through the years to hear with my heart ..there is no better hearing device than that .

Anonymous said...

That is great!

Keep smilin!

N@ Lauzon said...

Mom! That is soooo awesome!! As the offspring who inhereted the deafy weafy geney weney, might I say you have been the best example of how to take it all in stride.

And I couldn't ask for a better role model.

I SAID - I COULDN'T ASK FOR A BETTER ROLE MODEL!!

heheh.

Anonymous said...

N@: Be careful what you say behind Ma's back. She might actually hear it now! :)

Ma Horton said...

..and I said ."YOU HAVE INHERITED THE SMARTASS GENE TOO "

JB said...

Congratulations, Ma -
not just on the 'upgrade' to your hearing - but the fact that you're funny, insightful, and pretty darn cute, too.
;-)