Thursday, September 13, 2007

To Spay or Not to Spay






..... that is the question . Well of course I knew the right answer to that was to spay, so why was I having second thoughts on this . Let me clarify . Karma was entering her second heat and she was 13 months old . I knew it had to be done . The thought of giving her pain and cutting into her hairy little tummy was making me feel sick . I was not planning on breeding her . Finding responsible homes for puppies is a serious undertaking . That is best left to the experts . I knew all this and still I hesitated . Why ? How fast a year goes by . It seems like yesterday we were potty training and learning how to sit and stay . She has grown into a beautiful dog with a loving personality . She rarely barks at the door , just sits looking at you with that goofy grin of hers . When you come home she rubs around your legs more like a cat then a german shepherd . She even smiles . She never really grew too big . In fact , she is a little runty. Her best friend is Cocoa , the shih tzu next door. She loves her big brother True . One ear is still weak at times but now I find it more endearing than worrying over it . She is who she is . I am watching her sleep at this moment , whimpering once in a while . She hurts . She was spayed yesterday .
I think I know the answer to that why ... when you love something , you hurt along with them.



10 comments:

T said...

Ma, I know what you mean. She IS an adorable dog, and you know I used to be scared of big dogs. She is gentle and quiet, and beautiful. You done good. xo

N@ Lauzon said...

YAY KARMA! I wish we could tell them why we put them thru things, sometimes. But you know what? Even if they DID know, they'd still go, "It's okay - I still love you."

Well done, Ma.

Anonymous said...

You absolutely did the right thing. Bob Barker would be proud of you.

Don't worry: your mutual unconditional love with Karma is lessening the pain she's feeling. In a few days, she'll again be the puppy who stole your heart.

JB said...

...and I mean this is the nicest possible way, so don't make fun of it...
When I saw that first picture - my first thought was - "Two ladies with such sweet faces."

Ma Horton said...

Thank you( I think )..so what is the last one ..2 bitches in heat ?

Anonymous said...

How's our little patient today? Is she wearing a lampshade? If she is, let's see pics!

Ma Horton said...

I am wearing the lampshade so I can light up your life ..my vet says they cause way more stress so he does not believe in them .She is resting like a good girl .

Anonymous said...

Not the first time you've worn a lampshade, eh, Ma?

Ma Horton said...

Nope

JB said...

I hadn't seen the second picture at that point - I had only scrolled down as far as the first one when I had that thought. Sincerely. Very nice shot of you and the fuzziest of your 'girls'.
;-)